Sunday, August 12, 2012

How I Make Stringing (Rewrite)

Since I've switched this site over to Blogger.com I received an email from someone looking for my set up on how I make string pieces for my project.  This is rewrite of that post.

A few months ago Chuck Bender of Acanthus Workshop posted a video of how he makes his stringing

Well I tried that out and it worked like a charm. But then I needed more. (GuessI didn't make enough!) 
So I decided to take a few minutes this weekend to make some more. The only thing is while Chucks way works, it’s a bit to set up and I’ll admit I’m lazy!
So knowing I was going to make my stringing Sunday afternoon, I went out in the shop last night and built a quick jig to make the process easier.
This jig is really nothing more than a wide push stick that keeps my hands away from the blade and pushes the material.  Add to that an auxiliary fence so the string wont get caught in under my stock fence. 
So I set my fence up for a 1/16″ away from the blade and cut away using my jig.
Here’s a couple of photos of the jig in use.


And a video of how easy it is to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment